Andrea Rothfuss22 October 1989 Freudenstadt, Germany
- LATEST TRIUMPHS:
- 2015 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships - Silver: downhill, super-G, super combined and giant slalom
- 2014-15 IPC Alpine Skiing World Cup – overall second
- Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games - Gold: slalom; Silver: slalom and giant slalom
- 2013 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships - Silver: downhill, slalom, giant slalom and super combined
- 2011 IPC Alpine Skiing World Championships - Gold: slalom and downhill; silver: super combined and team event; Bronze: super-G and giant slalom
Andrea Rothfuss saw her rivalry with alpine standing skier Marie Bochet of France come into full play at the Sochi 2014 Paralympic Winter Games, winning gold in the slalom after a DNF from the Frenchwoman and a further two silvers.
But Bochet has not failed to sweep a World Championships podium in the last two editions with Rothfuss taking silver on eight of those occasions.
Rothfuss started her skiing career in the mid-1990's at age six, and began racing by 2000. From there, she had success at the national and European level before heading to the Torino 2006 Games to make her Paralympic debut. In Torino, she took fourth in the slalom and fifth in the super-G.
Then, at just 19, Rothfuss showed her potential by winning four bronze medals in the five events she competed in at the 2009 World Championships. That set the stage for her first Paralympic Winter Games in 2010, where she won two silvers and a bronze.
The last time Rothfuss beat Bochet at a World Championships was in 2011 in the downhill, and Rothfuss also had to face several rapidly improving skiers in 2015-16. The Netherlands' Anna Jochemsen and the USA's Stephanie Jallen both achieved top three finishes in World Cups.
But Rothfuss maintained her focus to achieve her own success, including third place in super-G and fifth in the overall women's standing World Cup.
The German will head out again at the 2017 World Para Alpine Skiing Championships.
- Follow us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Tweets by @IPCAlpineSkiing